June 29, 2013
Happy First Birthday!
In some ways I can’t believe it’s already been a year . . . and in others, I can’t believe it’s only been a year! One year ago today, you entered the world. I can’t really say you entered our lives a year ago because you were most definitely in my life before that – I felt you kicking and growing inside of me for the previous 9 months. But we finally got to meet you on this day last year. There’s an old song (“old” by your standards – it was popular when your dad and I were teenagers), “I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You,” I always thought it was kind of a weird premise. How could anyone know they loved a person before they met them? Well, now I understand. Your dad and I most certainly loved you before we met you!
You didn’t have a name for the first few minutes of life. Your dad and I wanted to wait until we saw your adorable face before deciding on your name. Hopefully we haven’t saddled you with too big a burden by giving you such a grand name . . . but I love it (and you, obviously). By the time you are 4, and perhaps even earlier, I’m sure you will have a very strong opinion on whether you want a nickname, and what nickname you want. So I’m forcing myself to be open to any and all nicknames (though, just so you know, your dad has vetoed Gigi, so put it out of your head right now). J
We’ve been through so much together over the past year!
- - I spent 24/7 with you on maternity leave.
- - We traveled to Michigan. Your first plane trip ever at 8 weeks old.
- - I went back to work and you started daycare.
- - You had your first Halloween (I dressed you as a giraffe and you didn’t seem to enjoy wearing the costume).
- - You had your first Thanksgiving.
- - Your second plane trip was for your first Christmas in Oregon.
- - We took you to Disneyland several times.
- - Your Aunt Sharon got married.
- - We traveled to Chicago & Rhode Island. You put your feet in both the Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans before your first birthday. How many people can say that?
- - You took your sweet time learning how to crawl. But now, you pull up and are cruising on furniture and while we hold your hands. It won’t be long before you’re running around the house terrorizing the cat!
- - You attempt to say new words every day! Your vocabulary now includes: daddy, mama (sometimes), uh oh, yeah, cat, and kitty. Yesterday I swear you tried to say “birthday” after I said it to you. You for sure got “day” out.
I love you so much! I can’t wait to see your personality develop as you get older. The glimpses I see of your personality emerging are so exciting. You are generally very good-natured. You smile all the time! You eat very well – we definitely don’t have a problem with you being a picky eater . . . please keep that up through your toddler years! You really only seem to get fussy toward the end of the day when you are tired. And then sometimes (and this is my gene’s fault) you ramp up and get super hyper when you are exhausted. It’s almost cute at first and then gets a little scary because we know that you are just tired, but fighting it so hard. I know, life is exciting, but it will still be there when you wake up. And you will appreciate it even more after a good night’s sleep.
Love you lots and lots and lots!!!!
(ok, that’s weird – I haven’t actually signed anything “mom” yet. Don’t worry. I’ll get used to it by the time you can actually read)
|Hard to believe this was a year ago!|