Hey everyone. Sorry it’s been so long since my last post. I haven’t given up on blogging, I swear! It’s just this full time working mom of two very young kids is really kicking my butt!!! Omg, I thought it was exhausting with just one kid! These days I’m lucky if I’m still awake long enough to eat dinner for myself after the kids go to bed (I prefer to eat with them, but sometimes traffic does not allow for that since G gets hungry the moment she steps in the door at night).
I keep thinking of blog topics to post about while on my horrendous commute (it’s been taking me about an hour to an hour and a half EACH way since coming back to work). If only I could actually write while I drive . . . if the city of LA would ever extend the subway from the Valley to Santa Monica, maybe I could. Ah well, maybe by the time Guinevere is in college that will happen.
I digress. What’s happened in the almost three months since my last post? Here’s a quick rundown of things that have happened in the last 3 months:
1. I went back to work. Things have been good. I was more emotionally apprehensive about going back this time than I was with Guinevere, but it’s all turned out fine. Work has been very very busy! My commute seems to have gotten even worse, which I didn’t think was possible. Gee, am I so glad they spent all that time and taxpayer money adding a carpool lane to the 405 through the Sepulveda pass. It helps so much (this is where I wish there was a “sarcastic” font. I shall use italics instead).
2. We took the kids to a pumpkin patch with some friends. Malcolm had fun seeing pumpkins for the first time. Guinevere had a blast running around all the pumpkins and choosing one for us to take home. Then I took the kids by myself to a birthday party at another pumpkin patch. That one had a tractor that G could pretend to drive!
3. Halloween! Malcolm’s first Halloween! Mal wore the Giraffe costume that G wore her first Halloween. He’s so much bigger than she was that I was worried he wouldn’t fit, but he did. G was Minnie Mouse, which is her favorite character of all time right now. Her eyes lit up when I showed her the costume – and it’s a size too big, so it will last her awhile. I’m sure she’ll want to run around the house in it a bunch over the next couple years.
4. Grandpa’s 90th birthday. We recently celebrated my grandpa’s 90th birthday! For those of you who don’t know him, he is an amazing individual. He was a bombardier in World War II and then went on to be a teacher when he got back from the war. After he retired, he finally listened to the pleas of the family and published his first book. Now, he’s about to release his fourth!
|With my grandpa. Please forgive the fuzzy iphone photo - it was the only one where G was smiling at the camera.|
5. G got a toddler bed. We graduated Guinevere from the crib to a toddler bed. She loves her new bed and actually asks to go “night night” now! Now if only we could get her to stop falling out of it.
6. Malcolm’s first taste of real food. Malcolm is now 6 months old, which means we can start giving him solids. We haven’t yet given him any rice cereal or mushy baby food yet, but the other night we were eating stir fry and he seemed really interested in my food. So I handed him a piece of broccoli to play with and taste. He had a great time! G kept pointing at him and saying, “Malcolm’s broccoli!”
There’s so much more that’s happened in the past couple months, but each of the above are things that I had fully intended to write an entire blog post about . . . who knows, maybe I will end up expanding on a couple of those bullet points. It’s been a busy time, and with the holidays coming, it’s only going to get busier. Here’s hoping I find the time (and energy) to start writing more regularly again!